I love sweet potatoes and would happily eat them and feed them to my household all the time. Autumn is the season for sweet potatoes, and with the price of them at the moment it is very tempting to include them in as many dishes as possible.
I found them in my local supermarket today for $1.69 per kilo, which is a pretty good start for a tasty budget meal. I may have taken the shop assistant by surprise when I bought eight kilos of them and my shopping bag split with their weight.
Those in the know (the Australian sweetpotato growers organisation) say that they have the lowest glycemic index of all the root vegetables, which means sweet potatoes give you longer lasting energy. They are also full of the right kind of goodness to make them healthy, and they come in all sorts of interesting colours and shapes. Do you need any more reasons to eat them?
- mix cooked sweet potato chunks through a salad with a cooked grain like couscous, some salad leaves, a little dressing and a sprinkling of nuts.
- cook up a batch of sweet potato pieces in a steamer on the weekend and add them to healthy lunches during the week.
- a simple sweet potato mash is a nice side dish for many meals, especially meals that could do with something a little sweet and/or colourful. It makes a good topping for a shepherd’s pie, too.
- roast them in chunky wedge shapes with a little oil and sprinkle with salt and sumac to give a really interesting sweet and savoury kick.
Perhaps secretly revealing my love of sweet potatoes, there are already quite a few sweet potato recipes on this blog, such as:
- sweet potato cornbread
- vegetarian sweet potato and adzuki bean cannelloni
- sweet potato and cashew dip
- microwaveable pie for one with a sweet potato crust
Here are some more delicious sweet potato recipes from local food bloggers:
An Ottolenghi inspired salad of sweet potato, spinach, pomegranate, fetta and figs from Bizzy Lizzy’s Good Things
A sweet potato, rocket and feta salad with walnut and black olive from In Search of Golden Pudding
The perfect sweet potato chips from Yummy Lummy
And a recipe for waffles: sweet or savoury spiced sweet potato waffles from Dreaming of Almonds
Do you have any other sweet potato ideas?