Picture the scene: we’ve just enjoyed a chicken dish for dinner. At the end of the meal, there’s some cooked chicken left over (cue dramatic music). The leftovers aren’t quite enough to make a whole meal, but too much to waste. What will we do?
Rather than being paralysed with indecision next time I’m in that situation, I’ve made myself a list of 10 ideas to get us started on putting those chicken leftovers to good use. I don’t want to waste the food, the money or the effort that went in to preparing the dish. But, sometimes it’s hard to come up with the right ideas at the right time.
Sure, we could eat the leftover chicken for lunch the next day, or pop it in the freezer to make up part of a meal when we need it another time. Or, we could turn it into yet another delicious dinner! Here’s where these 10 leftover chicken ideas come in.
Just say it’s not chicken that we’re left with but another kind of food. No problem – have a look at my previous post at this link here for 10 more creative ideas for turning leftovers into another meal.
10 tasty dishes to make with leftover chicken
The first two on this list are my own recipes which are regulars in our house. Having some standard “go to” ways to use up leftovers means not using up as much brain power when it comes to deciding what to do with them.
1. I use this oven baked “risotto” recipe quite often. Perfect for leftovers after a roast chicken dinner, especially if you save some of the roast vegetables along with the chicken.
2. This pie for one with a sweet potato crust cooks in the microwave. Just right if you are cooking for yourself, plus it’s another tasty way to use a small amount of leftover cooked chicken.
3. Turn leftover chicken into these easy and tasty salsa verde chicken enchiladas.
4. These quinoa burrito bowls look fantastic as a healthy and delicious way to use up those leftovers.
5. Anything crumbed and fried is going to be a winner, and even more so if it has cheese! I can’t imagine your dinner companions complaining if you decide to make these chicken croquettes with ricotta and thyme.
6. This cheesy pesto chicken bake with cauliflower is gluten free and is easy to pull together.
7. Here’s another easy and low carb option for your leftover chicken – it’s a chicken and zucchini casserole.
8. Not in the mood to serve up yesterday’s chicken curry again? Why not turn the curry into another delicious dish, like this chicken biryani?
9. I love a good pie! These classic creamy chicken pies made with puff pastry are a perfect reason to have your chicken and eat it too (or at least to make sure you have leftovers so you can make these pies the next day).
10. Making good use of your leftovers can start as soon as a cooked chicken arrives in your kitchen. Have a read of this article for ideas for getting the most out of a store bought roast chicken or BBQ chook. You’ll also find some interesting thoughts on a frugal approach to food and reducing food waste.
There are 10 ideas from me. Any more? What are your favourite “go to” solutions for leftover chicken? Please share in the comments below.
Image credit for the Costco chicken: Bloomberg.com